When we are in a motorhome, travel trailer, fifth wheel, pop-up camper, or any camper, there is one place where we definitely need a television: the bed. I’ll go so far as to say that there’s nothing more relaxing about living in an RV than enjoying a good movie in bed. Even though I love the outdoors. That feeling of lying in bed watching TV is unmatched. If you are reading this and you feel identified in some way, and you would like to know some useful tips to install a TV in a quite small space like the bedroom or the bed area in a camper, this article on How to Mount A Tv In An RV Bedroom, is for you. I will give you all the details for mounting a TV in an RV bedroom.
In this article, we summarize how to choose the best RV TV mount for a camper bedroom, how to install a TV mount in an RV ceiling, and how to attach the TV mount to the camper walls of a bedroom.
Recommended reading for a step-by-step guide on How to Mount a TV in a Travel Trailer
Choose a TV Suitable for an RV Bedroom
Before choosing the TV mount, you will need to choose which TV you are looking to install in the RV bedroom. You will need to choose the size of the TV very carefully.
In many cases, camper bedrooms are small spaces, which require a retractable type of TV mount to save space, or a flip down-flip up type also to dedicate as little space as possible to the TV when not in use.
Also, since RV bedrooms are short spaces, the distance from our eyes to the TV screen should be adequate, as well as the height of our head to see the screen.
How High Should You Mount A TV In a Bedroom?
How High Should You Mount a TV In a Bedroom? Looking up too high or looking down too low will cause neck pain. So, when you want to install a TV in an RV bedroom think about the following:
- Size of the TV so that the distance from the screen to our eyes is adequate.
- Height of the TV to be mounted so that the eyes are aligned with the center of the screen.
Likewise, you can choose between 120v or 12v TVs.
A 120v TV needs an inverter to power it from battery power. Although it’s less efficient than 12v native TV because it is worth many people don’t waste money on expensive 12v TVs.
The 12v TVs may be worth the energy savings but for now, the quality features are not the same as you have in a 120v TV. Therefore, any TV with an HDMI connection that will fit in your RV bedroom is a good choice.
- Choose a spot that allows you to have the necessary connections close by such as an electrical outlet, HDMI, etc.
Next, we must choose the TV mount with similar criteria to the one we used to choose the TV.
Choose a TV Mount Suitable for Your TV and Bedroom
The TV mount should be the right size to support the TV we have chosen. Also, the VESA hole pattern on the back of the TV and the TV mount plate must be compatible.
A very important point to choose the TV mount is to analyze where it will be installed. Where will it have the attachment?
The installation of the TV mount can be done using the studs of the bedroom wall, a wooden cabinet or closet located in the bedroom, the RV ceiling, or a wall without studs but must provide support to the weight of the TV and the TV mount.
Mounting a TV in an RV: Wall Without Studs
In the case that the wall or the area that you have available to install the TV does not have studs, it is possible to install and mount the TV but it requires a special TV mount and special expandable screws, called toggled bolts and molly bolts. We will not use the traditional screws that we use to mount a TV in a house and we will not use the regular TV brackets that are also suitable for a house.
When doing TV installations on walls without studs we can only opt for fixed, non-moving TV mounts. Otherwise, they could easily come off the RV wall.
To learn more about how to choose the best RV mount and how to mount a TV on the RV wall without studs we recommend reading the article by following the link.
Attach a TV Mount to Studs, Wooden Cabinets, or Ceiling
In case you have studs available, a wooden cabinet, or the RV ceiling available and in good condition to hold the weight of the TV, it will be very easy to choose based on the type of movement we want to give to the TV.
Let’s see what is included in the TV mount package and what is not included and you will need to install the TV mount in the RV bedroom.
- Get yourself a TV, in size and weight adequate for the type of installation (studs/no studs), suitable for the location (a bedroom), and adequate to watch (distance and height).
- Get an appropriate TV mount, suitable for the type of installation (studs/no studs), adequate for the VESA pattern of the TV, and with the movement you are looking for.
- Remember, lockable is a must when choosing an RV TV mount if you want to protect your investment while traveling.
- Wall retractable and ceiling flip-down/up TV mount options are the best for saving space inside the RV.
Install a TV in Your RV, Travel Trailer, or 5th Wheel Using This Guide and the related articles should be super easy!
Let’s see what kind of RV TV mounts we have in the market to choose from.
Types of Wall TV Mounts for RVs
There are many types of RV TV mounts.
- Some are flat against the wall while others are elevated. The most popular type is the flat-screen TV mount. This type of mount is easy to install and can be found at most RV dealerships.
- The next type of mount is the corner TV mount. This type of mount is great for saving space in your RV. It is also easy to install.
- The last type of mount is the ceiling TV mount. This type of mount is great if you have a high ceiling in your RV. It is also easy to install.
How Do You Install a TV In a Camper Bedroom?
We suppose at this point you choose the best TV mount for your RV bedroom. If you still didn’t consider if you have in your hands the right mount for your camper bedroom, just review this bullet point before proceeding.
Mounting a TV in an RV: How to Choose the Best TV Mount for an RV Bedroom?
Consider the following factors when selecting a TV mount for your RV bedroom:
- The weight of the TV you plan to install in an RV bedroom. Make certain that the mount you select can hold the weight of your television.
- The adequate size of the TV you plan to install in an RV bedroom. You should ensure that the TV mount you select can support the size of your TV.
- The kind of RV you will like to mount in your RV bedroom. Some RVs have thicker walls than others. Check that the mount you select can accommodate the thickness of your RV’s walls.
- The location of the TV in your RV bedroom. You should ensure that the amount you select will allow you to position the TV where you want it. Camper bedrooms don’t have a lot of room to mount a TV and accommodate. So, be sure the position and height are comfortable to watch TV from your bed. A good choice for the RV bedroom could be a ceiling RV TV mount, especially if you want to save space.
- The compatibility between the TV you choose for your RV bedroom and the VESA hole pattern of the RV TV mount. Some TVs need the use of specialized mounts. Make certain that the TV mount you select is compatible with the TV you have selected for your camper bedroom and vice versa.
How Do You Attach A TV Mount in an RV Bedroom?
First, be sure of choosing the right wall to mount a TV in an RV bedroom
Make sure to pick a wall mount that is specifically designed for RVs. These mounts are typically made out of lightweight and durable materials that can withstand the bumps and vibrations of travel.
Secondly, proceed with preparing the RV bedroom wall. Before you begin, it’s important to clean the wall where the mount will be placed. This will help ensure a secure and stable connection. Once the area is clean, use a level to mark where you’ll be drilling the holes for the mount.
As we mentioned before you can drill the holes or find out the wall studs in the wall structure of your RV bedroom. Using a drill, create pilot holes in the marked spots. Be sure to go slowly and evenly to avoid damaging the RV’s wall.
Then, proceed to attach the TV mount to the RV walls. With the help of a friend, lift the TV into place and align the mount with the pilot holes. Use the provided screws to secure the mount to the RV’s wall.
Finally, before hanging the TV check the installation using both hands. Once the TV mount is secure, carefully hang the TV on the mount.
Make sure the TV is level before tightening the screws to avoid putting too much pressure on one side.
Now that you know how to install a TV mount in an RV bedroom, you can enjoy your favorite shows and movies even while on the road. Just be sure to choose the right mount and take the time to properly secure it to the RV’s wall.
VIDEO – How To Mount A TV In An RV Bedroom
Hope you find useful these tips about How To Mount A TV In An RV Bedroom